C Our Fun Facts
1. The African horned cucumber is one of the oldest fruits, with its origin of over 3,000 years ago in Africa. It is also called the ‘blowfish fruit’ because of its spine covered yellow outer shell. People use the juice of the African horned cucumber for eczema & renal problems. 2. A cucumber is not a vegetable but a fruit. 3. The...
HEALTHY & FUN FRUITY FACTS
C Our Fun Facts
1. The African horned cucumber is one of the oldest fruits, with its origin of over 3,000 years ago in Africa. It is also called the ‘blowfish fruit’ because of its spine covered yellow outer shell. People use the juice of the African horned cucumber for eczema & renal problems.
2. A cucumber is not a vegetable but a fruit.
3. The COCO DE MER palm tree has the earth’s largest fruit, weighing 42 kg & seeds weighing 17 kg.
4. The European cantaloupe & the American cantaloupe, are both cantaloupe but they are totally different fruits. The European cantaloupe has a smooth gray-green skin while the American cantaloupe has a tough net-like skin.
5. Cantaloupe originated in ancient times in India & Africa but soon found their way to Europe.
6. Cantaloupe is named for the papal gardens of Cantaloupe, Italy, where some historians say this species of melon was first grown.
7. Cantaloupe was first introduced to North America by Christopher Columbus on his second voyage to the New World in 1494.
8. Cantaloupe is the most popular melon in the United States.
9. Cantaloupes are in the lead for the most popular melon in the U.S.
10. In several English-speaking countries, including “Down under” in Australia, cantaloupes are actually referred to as Rockmelons. They are also considered a luxury & are commonly given as gifts in Japan!
11. Coconuts are an extremely popular fruit that contains antioxidants & many vitamins & minerals. The name coconut comes from 16th-century Portuguese sailors. It is believed that the three holes on the coconut resembled a face, so the fruit was honored with the word ‘coco,’ meaning ‘grin’ or ‘grinning face.’ The nut part was added later on with the English language.
12. Chilli Peppers are often used as a spice, but they have the power to promote wound healing & blood clotting. Cayenne pepper helps regulate blood pressure & heal injuries. Whether you eat cayenne pepper or sprinkle it into a wound, it will help you heal faster. Pepper power to the rescue!
13. Coffee beans are the pit of a berry, & thus a fruit. Coffee has psychoactive properties & can make you hallucinate. 100 cups of coffee can give the human body a lethal dose of caffeine.
14. Cherry farmers hire helicopter pilots to air-dry their trees after it rains so that the cherries don't split open. Pilots get paid hundreds of dollars a day to be on stand-by during the summer in case it rains & trees need an emergency blow-drying. It sounds ridiculous, but it's worth it for farmers who raise the delicate, expensive fruit. The job is dangerous; pilots are often injured in orchard crashes.
15. Cherries are said to help calm one’s nervous system.